Tuesday 17 August 2010

Do you still get nervous?

One of the great advantages of getting older, it seems to me, is that it's more difficult than it used to be to find situations which are embarrassing. You reach a certain stage in life and people can either take you or leave you. A couple of years ago I travelled to Exeter for a cathedral service taking (as I thought) my suit in a carrier along with my overnight bag. Come the Sunday morning, the carrier revealed a suit jacket but no trousers, and there was no opportunity to do a quick bit of shopping. So I attended that service, and the lunch afterwards, wearing my suit jacket with my travelling jeans. Most people there whom I knew were far too polite to comment. Those who stared got the true story. Not a problem.

This may not be a week for embarrassment, but it is one for nerves, thankfully not mine. Today we are appointing an MGS Archivist, and while I'm not an official interviewer, I am meeting the candidates, and admiring how they control their nerves. They really want this job, and only one can get it. It will be a really important role, shaping a new department to present the school's collection of historical material to pupils and the outside world in an interesting and exciting way. The person appointed will also work with all those who will be looking at the history of the school, and Manchester, in the light of our 500th birthday in 5 years' time.

On Thursday, our senior 6th formers get their A level results (if they haven't already got their IB scores), so they are entitled to be feeling pretty nervous, too. There'll be lots of joy as the results envelopes are opened, but some sadness, too, no doubt. All the indications from the university world are that this is not going to be an easy year if you fall short of your expected grades. So good luck, lads - glad I'm not 18 again.

No comments:

Post a Comment