Tuesday 31 August 2010

Are you the retiring type?

Well this really is an odd day - my last as a full-time employee. Seven years as a pupil at MGS in the 60s, followed by 33 years here as English teacher, Head of Lower School, Surmaster and Development Director end today. Simon Jones takes over as Development Director and I stay on as a part-time Adviser.

My father retired from his semi-skilled manual job as soon as he was able, and hasn't regretted it. I am thinking that semi-retirement will suit me well - I still have MGS things that I am really interested in (and I have almost 10,000 emails in my Inbox, all read but not all acted upon), but a little more 'me' time will not come amiss. There are many things to sort out at home (that's how it is when you are lucky enough to live in a house built in 1620), and there's an extended family to create more time for.

So - are you retired? and how is it? or how do you feel about the prospect if you haven't reached the appropriate age yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment